home   >   LUXEMBOURG   >   presentation

version française 
3
1
0

PRESENTATION

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, both participatory democracy and constitutional monarchy, is a state of the European Union located between Germany, Belgium and France. Covering an area of 2.586 km2, the Grand Duchy has approximately 500.000 inhabitants excluding 150.000 people coming each day from neighboring countries to work in the Grand Duchy.

A walled city
La Ville de Luxembourg s’est développée au Xe siècle, sur l’emplacement d’un château construit en 963 par le comte ardennais Siegfried. Le château s’élevait sur les ruines d’un fort romain appelé “Lucilinburhuc”, nom qui se transforma rapidement en “Luxembourg” et qui fut attribué à la ville puis au pays tout entier. Luxembourg City was built in the tenth century on the site of a castle constructed in 963 by Count Siegfried Ardennes. The castle was built on the ruins of a Roman fort called "Lucilinburhuc", a name which quickly became "Luxembourg" which was awarded to the city and the whole country.
In the middle of the twelfth century, Luxembourg started to surround itself with ramparts and soon took on the looks of a walled city.
Four centuries later, its defensive system was redesigned and made the city a fortress. But in 1684, after a memorable siege led by Vauban, Louis XIV of France seized Luxembourg and Vauban reviewed once again the defense of the city, leaving it a beautiful architectural heritage.
Ultimately, over the centuries, the forts and the 23 km of casemates earned Luxembourg the nickname "Gibraltar of the North".

European Capital
Perched atop the cliffs of the valleys of the Alzette and Pétrusse, the city of Luxembourg, commonly called "Stad", offers a unique topography. Registered since 1994 as World Heritage by UNESCO, it became the seat of the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) in 1952. Capital of Europe, like Strasbourg and Brussels, Luxembourg has known a rapid development, materialized in the Kirchberg district by high modern buildings designed by renowned architects. Kirchberg is now home to the European Institutions, to large international firms, but also to banks.